Sunday, August 17, 2008

Back in the Swing of Things

So...I don't know what it was, but I have been so tired lately. There are a few things that I have attributed it to, but mainly I think it was the excessive heat of the southern vacation, and the 4:00 a.m. olympic watching.

I really didn't think I would watch the Olympics this year. I'm much more a fan of the winter games, and I really was so turned off by all the pre-Olympic coverage from NBC. I thought I might just skip it all. But then it happened, you start watching the Michael Phelps phenomenon, the gymnastics, synchronized diving (who had ever heard of that before?) and I am still looking for table tennis.

In any case, this was a big weekend, so I had to snap back to normal. Trevor was with me and we went to the Trader's Point Hunt Charity Horse Show. This is our second year to do it, and for $10, the two of us had a great day.

The Trader's Point people know how to do a horse show. It is held at Wild Air Farms in Zionsville, and the grounds of this private estate have several show rings and a beautiful Grand Prix Field. We always try to go early so that we can see the young riders, but we didn't see them again this year. I read my program later that said unless they have at least 6 entrys in a class, they will not have the competition. Maybe there weren't enough of the little kids ( 5, 6, and 7 year-olds) who entered.

It was kids day, so there were plenty of things to do. They had the air jumpy things, pony rides, face painting, clowns, etc. We did a few of those things, and then headed off to the terrier races. Have you ever seen the terrier races on TV? I've seen them on Animal Planet. But basically, they have terriers (or in the case of Trader's Point any small dog) chase a toy on a string down a fairly long grassy course. At the end of the course they have bales of straw set up so that they form a dog-size hole for the dogs to go through. The first one through the hole is the winner. We watched the races, and then went to the Grand Prix field to watch the jumpers.
I really like this show and we had a great morning. And, I like to think this is another of some very different experiences we have during the year.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a totally fun day!