Thursday, June 4, 2009

20/20 Vision...but only in one eye

Mom's surgery went well today. She had cataract surgery on her right eye, and has come home with the word "yes" written in Sharpie above her right eyebrow. I'm not sure she is aware of that yet, and not sure how she'll react to it tomorrow when she looks in the mirror. I may need to get a picture (insert smiley face here).

Eye surgery on TV is much quicker than the real version at Witham Hospital. What they don't show you on TV is the 4 hours of prep work and eye numbing drops that are put in every 30 minutes or so. It is also different than dog eye surgery. My dog Rocky had eye surgery and his was very quick. He was my big, tough boy who did many a surgery without anesthesia. He couldn't have it because of his heart problems. So, even Rocky's surgery was pretty fast. Check Spelling

The good news is that Mom is 20/20 now, but only in the one eye. Maybe I could sign up for this surgery and dump the glasses. Wouldn't that be great? Mom is thinking she'll be able to drive tomorrow, but I'm not sure. How will she do it. With one good eye and one bad eye, her vision will be messed up if she wears glasses, or if she doesn't wear glasses. We'll talk to the doctor again tomorrow and see what he says.

2 comments:

Scott S. Semester said...

I have monocular vision like that. (I think that's what it's called -- my left eye is slightly far-sighted and my right eye is super near-sighted.) I'm supposed to wear my glasses all the time when driving, but my brain has learned how to do depth perception even when it shouldn't be able to, in my case.

If your mom stays with one good eye and one not-so-good one, her brain might adapt, too. I probably wouldn't recommend driving as the way to test out that theory, though. :)

Mariandy said...

This sounds like the same thing my Mom had a few years ago . . . she had good results . . . but it did take her a while to get used to her "bionic eye." I don't know if she got tattooed with a Sharpie. Now THAT would have been an interesting photo. :-)