Friday, December 5, 2008

Piggy Banks

Courtesy of the One Minute Writer....What is the first thing that you remember saving money to buy?

When I was 14 or so, I was quite the babysitter. I had a few customers and during the summer I had a regular all-day babysitting job for some neighbors. So, it was a pretty steady income. In those days, I made 50 cents per hour.

I can't remember what triggered my interest in photography. I'm sure my brother had something to do with it, but I also think there had to be more to it. All I know is that I had my eye on a Canon AE-1 camera with all the gadgets that went with it. I remember it being $400 for the whole set. I saved up and we ordered it through the Spiegel catalog (60609).

I bought that camera in about 1977, and it was the only camera that I used for about 25 years. I still have it, although I don't use it now. Now I've gone to the digital age, and it has officially gone on the shelf.

1 comment:

Mariandy said...

That brings back memories! I remember saving for a stereo. (Remember those - LOL!) But by the time I had enough money, something new and more expensive had come out. I don't think I ever bought the stereo! It seems like I blew the money on something else, in my disappointment. Even now, I still HATE saving for stuff. I want instant gratification!!! :-)