Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Backstage at the IRT


Early this morning, I had the very unique and very cool opportunity of touring backstage at the Indiana Repertory Theatre. The current show at the IRT is "A Christmas Carol", and I have always wanted to see that show ever since I moved back to Indianapolis. But, it is one of those things that I have just never made time for.

So, I heard on my radio station's morning show (WIBC), that they were offering to give people the behind the scenes tour, and you also got 2 tickets to see the show. I emailed in and I got on the list. It was an early morning (7:00 a.m.), but that made parking super easy and they had coffee and donuts there for us. I was the first to arrive, as I had the big jury duty assignment at 8:00, and wanted to make sure that I got there in time to see as much as possible.

A very nice lady who was on the staff of the IRT gave us a tour. I wish I could remember her name. She talked about the history of the building and what they have done to restore it and what it may have been like coming to a movie in the 1920's when the building was built. And then...we got to go on stage and play in the snow! The snow is awesome! It is made of recycled plastic and the staff of the IRT says that once you are in the snow, you carry it with you for a while. They find it in their cars, their homes, and all over. They made it snow on stage while we were up there, and I thought that was great. However, a couple of the staff members immediately ran to the side saying "I don't want to be snowed on today!". I guess once you get it in your hair, it will be there for the day.




I had time to snap a few pictures with Terri Stacy and Big Joe Staysniak. (See the 3 of us pictured above). And I also got one of Joe and his legs. Joe is famous for wearing shorts in any weather, and as you can see, he was wearing them this morning at only 22 degrees.



And then, it was time to take off for my next assignment of the day, jury duty.

4 comments:

Mariandy said...

You really do have the most interesting "early morning" adventures!!! :-) So did you get any snow in your hair?

Mariandy said...

BTW It is very interesting that your Live Traffic Feed widjit thingie picked me up in Pennsylvania, but I am in neither of those two cities. (I am in PA though.)

K.T. said...

I did not get any snow in my hair, at least I don't think so anyway. I wish I had save a little bit. I need to examine my coat to see if there is any snow residue. :-)

K.T. said...

Morgan is close to Pittsburgh. Where in PA are you? I have other friends in Pennsylvania too, maybe it is one of them.